The Taylorville Community Pleasure Driveway and Park District is the caretaker of three park sites within the Taylorville City limits; Manners Park, Jaynes Park and Don Bragg Sports Complex. The Taylorville Park District is also home to a 160 acre tract of land bordering Lake Taylorville known as Lakeshore Golf Course. Manners Park, a 55 acre tract, was purchased from the widow (Elizabeth) and daughter (Francis Harder) of C.A. Manners on February 1, 1913. Jaynes Park, an 11 acre tract, was deeded to the City of Taylorville in 1909 as a donation by the Jaynes family to the City of Taylorville. Manners Park and Jaynes Park were both deeded to the Taylorville Community Pleasure Driveway and Park District in 1951 to complete an operating Park District.
Since the late 1850’s, the area in and around Manners Park has served as a place for recreation. In the summer of 1856, the Christian County Agricultural Society held its first county fair. In the 1870’s, a need to have a direct route from Decatur, IL to St. Louis by the Wabash Railroad found the northern part of the fairgrounds to be in its way. Arrangements were made with C.A. Manners to use a 55 acre tract, present day Manners Park, and move the fairgrounds south of the railroad. In 1913, this property was purchased by the City of Taylorville, some 25 years after C.A. Manner’s death. In the late 1800’s, a historical movement was spreading across the land. This movement was one of the largest ventures in education ever seen. A series of programs designed for all ages included a two week period of music, lectures, study, and oratory. This movement became known as the Chautauqua celebration. At the center of Manners Park still stands the Chautauqua auditorium. History of the Chautauqua auditorium.
Manners Park is also the site of an approximately 7 acre pond, or lake as some call it. At one time, the lake included a beach, fishing and diving platforms and a bathhouse. In the 1910’s or early 1920’s, the first wading pool was built across from the Chautauqua Dining Hall. The second pool was a full sized commercial pool built inside the front entrance of the park. The third and present pool was opened in 1962.
In September of 1967, a proposed lease/buy agreement was accepted to build an 18 hole golf course bordering the southeast side of Lake Taylorville. On July 21, 1969, the course was named Lake Shore Golf Course.